Sonoma County Home | Site Index | Contact Us | Search

Spill Reporting & Non-Storm Water Runoff

To report a spill or illegal discharge of pollutants to a storm drain or creek, call the Redwood Empire Dispatch Communications Authority (REDCOM) at (707) 576-1365. This number is available 24 hours.


To report oil and chemical spills occurring in or threatening rivers, bays or wetlands, call the California Emergency Management Agency at (800) 852-7550. (This is also the primary reporting number for agencies such as Fish & Wildlife, and the Regional Water Quality Control Boards.)


For Non-Emergency spills that are contained and not directly discharging to a storm drain or creek contact the appropriate County Department listed below:


To report spills from private septic systems call the Permit and Resource Management Department Code Enforcement Division. After normal business hours contact REDCOM.


To report a discharge of soapy water, construction materials, concrete waste, sediment, soil, or paint call the Permit and Resource Management Department Storm Water Section at (707) 565-1900.


To report a discharge of animal waste, public pool water, or solid waste contact Environmental Health and Safety.


To report non-emergency spills or dumping along county roadside ditches call Transportation and Public Works Road Maintenance Division.


To report spills at County Regional Parks call the Regional Parks Department.


To report illegal dumping on-line go to the Keep Sonoma Clean web site.


What is Non-Storm Water Runoff?

Non-Storm Water runoff is any activity or event which results in a release, leak, flow, escape or the placement of any material (liquid or solid) other than rain water into our storm drains, roadside ditches and creeks. It is important to prevent pollutants from entering our storm drain systems in order to protect public health and our local waterways. Storm drain systems include streets, curbs and gutters, storm drains, roadside ditches, and creeks.


The following are examples of the different types of pollutants reported to the County:

  • Soil and sediment
  • Paints and solvents
  • Garbage or Trash
  • Detergents and soapy wash water
  • Concrete and asphalt compounds
  • Fuel, oil, and grease
  • Pool and spa discharges
  • Animal waste
  • Hazardous chemicals
  • Sewage or Septic discharges
  PRMD Home | About PRMD | Boards & Commissions | Forms & Applications | Online Permits | Fees | Permit History | Permit Reports | Zoning | Policies & Procedures | Historic Resources | Storm Water | FAQ's | Links | Calendar
Although every effort is made to provide complete and accurate information on this website, users are advised to contact appropriate PRMD staff before making project decisions. This may involve contacting more than one section within PRMD (e.g. Building, Plan Check, Zoning, Well & Septic, etc.), since each section implements specific codes or ordinances which may affect your project.
Sonoma County Home | Site Index | Contact Us | Search | Accessibility | This page was last updated by webmaster
Permit and Resource Management Department County of Sonoma