Skip to Content
Sonoma County Home | County Departments | Contact Us  

Sewer Districts FAQs

Question Is my property in a sewer district? -or- Is my property hooked to sewer?

Please call (707) 565-1900 during regular phone hours and ask to speak with staff in the Sanitation Section. If you would like to streamline the process, please have your Assessor's Parcel Number available. This number can be found on your annual tax bill as shown below. If you don't have a tax bill available, we can locate the property if you provide us with the street address and the owner's name.

Secured Property Tax Bill
Tax Statement

How can my property be served by sewer?


First you should determine whether your property is within a sewer district. If your property is not within a sewer district you must obtain an Outside Service Agreement. If your property is within a sewer district there are several factors involved, including;

If there is a mainline nearby.
If there is a lateral from this mainline to your property.

A "No" answer to either of these questions triggers the need for a plan check, which could be a simple review of a hand drawn site plan, or a thorough review of engineered plans.

In addition, the following questions must be answered;

Is there a gravity flow to the mainline? If not, you will need a pumping system.

If there is an existing septic tank, it must be destroyed. This requires a Septic Tank Destruction Permit from PRMD's Well and Septic Section.


What permits do I need to connect a single family residence to public sewer?


Under normal circumstances you will need a sewer permit and an encroachment permit. Fees will be charged per the current fee schedule.


Does the sewer district or the County install my sewer line?


No. Installation is your responsibility.


Who pays for connecting my property to sewer?


It is your responsibility to pay for all permits, sewer work, inspection fees, connection fees and service charges.


Do I have to hire a licensed contractor to connect my sewer?


A licensed, bonded contractor with current insurance is required for any work in a public right of way. We recommend the use of a licensed contractor if the trench depth is over 5' or if a grease trap or monitoring manhole is required.

Although every effort is made to provide complete and accurate information on this website, users are advised to contact appropriate Permit Sonoma staff before making project decisions. This may involve contacting more than one section within Permit Sonoma(e.g. Building, Plan Check, Zoning, Well & Septic, etc.) since each section implements specific codes or ordinances which may affect your project.
Sonoma County Home | County Departments | Contact Us | Accessibility Assistance | This page was last updated .
Permit and Resource Management Department County of Sonoma